Six years ago, I gave birth to my sweet little redhead who no doubt changed my life. He was everything I could have hoped for. My new role as a mother was full of blissful moments, but there were also feelings of doubt and I had a ton of unanswered questions. Within the first months of his life, he began to develop rashes on various areas of his body and cradle cap. Each time this happened, I brought him to the pediatrician’s office so they could guide me in the right direction as to what could be causing this and what I could do about it. Each time, I left the office with a prescription for steroid cream. I was even advised to dilute selsun blue and use it for his scalp which burned his skin. I feel so silly for even doing that. I was frustrated and knew I had to begin to dive deeper to figure this out in a manner I was more comfortable with. This meant, finding the cause and eliminating it. Everyone would say “Oh, he just has sensitive skin.” Thinking back, this is probably the furthest from the truth. I now believe he has healthy skin that was attempting to protect him from harmful ingredients his body was being exposed to. I was using a baby detergent on his clothing and baby bubble bath and baby lotion on his body daily. I was under the impression that if a product is approved to be on the market, then surly it was cleared by the government to be safe. WRONG! FALSE! INCORRECT! TRY AGAIN! I began seeking out products labeled fragrance and dye free. Naturally, my interest was peeked when his skin began to clear and the rashes disappeared. This was when I began to pay attention. My passion for wellness was kicked into high gear and now I am a child wellness advocate. I love teaching families about the dangers of chemicals in their homes. I was unaware of the dangers lurking in the products I was using and I am passionate about educating families so they don’t make the same choices. Here are a few facts about chemicals commonly found in our products.
Phthalates are found in adult and kid shampoos and contain this toxic chemical that has been banned in children’s toys, but is still found in body cleansing products. It is known to be an endocrine disruptor, and very hard for the body to break down when used consistently during bath time . “Phthalate exposures in humans has been linked to changes in sex hormone levels, altered development of genitals, and low sperm count and quality. Phthalates have also been linked with obesity, reduced female fertility, preterm birth and low birthweight, a worsening of allergy and asthma symptoms, and altered toddler behavior. Other phthalates, like DiDP, have been linked to other types of birth defects.” https://www.ecocenter.org
Formaldehyde is the main ingredient in candles and home sprays which is the number one cancer causing chemical, and is what deceased people get embalmed with at the morgue. They say inhaling scents from candles or sprays is the equivalent to inhaling second hand smoke, which is even more dangerous than actually smoking the cigarette itself.
Many baby products contain the listed ingredient “fragrance,” which is simply a broad category that hides hundreds of toxic chemicals behind that word itself. Companies are not required to reveal the actual chemicals that are within the “fragrance” category, hence keeping the public in the dark about the true toxicity of the products we use on our little ones.
Women apply over 300 chemicals to their face and skin per day, including talc, bismuth, parabens, lead, mercury, and mineral oil. These chemicals are all found in store bought skin care and makeup products, which can disrupt the endocrine system, are highly carcinogenic, and have even been found in tumors. Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay $4.69 billion to 22 women and their families who claimed that asbestos in the company’s talcum powder products caused them to develop ovarian cancer.
When we use these products on ourselves and our children on a daily basis, the toxins build up and accumulate within our bodies – a process called “bioaccumulation.” This means that the more we expose ourselves to these toxins, the harder it is for our bodies to break them down. Because of this build up, it causes both minor and major health issues, that otherwise could be prevented if we simply quit using those toxins. Even if these issues aren’t apparent right now, they will be apparent later on down the road.
The Environmental Working Group‘s study commissioned five laboratories to examine the umbilical cord blood of 10 babies of African-American, Hispanic and Asian heritage and found more than 200 chemicals in each newborn.
We need to take action to ensure our children are safe from these harmful chemicals. I am head over heels in this wellness lifestyle and I welcome you to dive in because it’s never too late to change. I believe we all desire health and wellness and if this appeals to you, email me so I can help you and your family to make this change. Don’t waste time like I did, protect those most dear to you. START NOW!